The castle on a hill divides the two little valleys of Rio Maggire and Rio Finale. Building of this fortification began in 1260 by the Marquis Turcotti, lords of Ripalta and was completed by the genoese in the XV-XVI century. The castle has a square base with the longest sides overlooking the sea. The outer wall has two circular towers with the entrance located between them. A narrow external staircase leads up to the tower where there is a large clock. In the XIX century it was turned to a cemetery and then successively restored. Nowadays it hosts cultural events.It can be reached by climbing the abrupt road which leads from the train station to the castle. It is also accessible from the courtyard of the Church of Saint John the Baptist of Riomaggiore. The castle is also locally known as Castellazzo of Cerrico.